I am breeding fancy pigeons since long. Since I
am a breeder so I always looks for good breeding
results. I have used both the methods for breeding
pigeons but in my own opinion single pair in
one cage produces much better results as compared to colony
system. However, any body have its own ways of breeding
systems, You can correlate with the disadvantage of colony
system with the advantages of single pair and vice versa.
In Pakistan most of the cases pigeon fanciers
keep their pigeons on colony system, they
are also getting good results out of this system but I
have my own opinions given at the end..
The Advantages Of Breeding in
- The pair will take more interest in breeding.
- You have more checks as what the pair is doing. This
point is very important, here comes your management
and all your success in the future depends on this point.
How many chicks reared in a year, weather the pair are
- The rate of hatchability of eggs increases
and broken eggs diminishes due to non interference
of other pairs.
- More control on producing a specific color. As the
chances of mating with bossy style males stops.
- The growth of chick tremendously improves as
the parents give more feed.
- Chicks get more independently start eating
food as they are made available to them all the times.
- In case of viral infection it could not spread as
fast as in the case of colony system.
- Chances of fights with other breeding pairs
and jealously reduces a lot.
The Disadvantages of breeding
- It is more time consuming and expensive method to
keep one pair in one cage.
- You need lot of space.
- You have to check the feeding and water parts
on daily basis at least two times a day.
- It is difficult for the pigeon keeper to get
the pairs bath on regular basis. In hot weather dead
in shell is very common.
- The pigeons in the long run dont get
exercise which is very essential for their health being.
- I have observed that female pigeon if kept long in
single pairs, she stops laying eggs, it is not
very common , but it do happens with my birds.
- It is also difficult to give medicine in single pair
system, as it need lot of labor work and time consuming.
If I may allow to give my honest opinion of breeding
I must say thatI will keep my pigeons
in single pairs. Why, because I got very success full results
with this system. Since I am a breeder
and I am more
satisfied with good breeding results. However, in few cases
where pigeon were not breeding in single pair system I put
them in colony system and they start laying eggs and also
start producing chicks too. I think management should be